Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My guilt free Mac.

I can’t remember when I first ate Macaroni & Cheese. Most kid’s growing up in the seventies ate it. My first fond memory was going to Steinberg supermarket with my Dad to buy Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese. He bought it for me and I loved it.

The box design has changed but I bet you it still taste's  the same!

Kraft introduced this tasty meal to Canadian and American families in 1937. For me, I loved the Deluxe version. The cheese sauce came in a can. All one did was to open the can mix it with the cooked macaroni and add  pepper. I did one better. To be fancy, I used Kraft pre-sliced Mozzarella cheese on top, then put it under broil. It was great. I can still taste it.

I went through a phase feeling ‘guilty’ eating it. It’s far from healthy. Now, I’ve found a recipe I’ve modify over the years to make it more complete.

So, here it is my guilt less (at least for me) Mac & Cheese recipe…

Ingredients:
500 ml  of Carrots cooked and pureed
625 ml  of Chicken Broth
450 grams of uncooked pasta (I like the spiral, it  holds the cheese sauce better!)
1 large finely chopped Onion .
2  cloves of Garlic
60 ml of Butter
60 ml of white Flour
375 ml of sharp cheddar or Gruyere
Pepper

Topping:
1 can of Tuna drained
250 ml of grated Parmesan cheese
2 slices of homemade bread for the breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 F. The carrots are pureed with 1/4 of the chicken broth. Put aside. Cook pasta until al dente. Cook on slow heat, onion, garlic & butter about 10 minutes. Don’t let it caramelize. Add flour, cook for another minute adding the rest of the chicken broth slowly as if you are making a béchamel. Stir constantly. This must simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pureed carrot’s to this as well as the cheese. Add plenty of pepper. Mix in the pasta and lay into a large 9X13” glass baking dish (Pyrex).
Prepare your topping by mixing together the tuna, parmesan and the breadcrumbs. Spread this over the macaroni. Put into the oven for 20 minutes. Then broil for the last few minutes until golden brown. 

Serve and Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I have a wonderful recipe for an adult version of mac-n-cheese that is delicious, but no child would like it. I change it up every time I make it, by trying out different kinds of cheeses. Gruyere makes for long cheesy strings and lots of laughs at the table. I feel some guilt about this dish, so I invariably send the leftovers home with my guest. He can afford to take on those carbs and calories in a way that I shouldn't. All that said, I still love the Kraft veresion, though I rarely eat it any more.

    ReplyDelete