Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

My sourdough starter called Giro.

Like a weird experiment, so far it's going well...


I have something growing inside my oven...

The story began 10 years ago. I already was into bread but my first attempt at making yeast was a flop. Surprised me. I can bake and cook fairly well. But I could not make yeast. Now, the challenge is back and I'm hungry once again.

This is day two of growing my new pet, Giro. Of course, in honor of the race. I use organic rye flour, natural spring water and honey. The glass jar is the perfect container or environment for the yeast to develop in. And the wooden spoon is a must.  Because a metal spoon would contaminate and kill it.

The suggestion is to leave it for 5 days. So far so good. It's nice and bubbly and I'm keeping the temperature constant at 80 F. Stay tuned for further developments!

1 comment:

  1. What a great little story of incubation! Can't wait for the next installment.

    Oh, no! I swear, it's true. My word verfiication was "ovenfe".

    ReplyDelete